Born in 1953. Assistant Professor in 1984 at University of Catania, Lecturer at University of Messina in 1990, Associate Professor in 1992 Univ. of Calabria, Full Professor of Physical Chemistry in 1994, Univ. of Basilicata, currently at University of Catania.
Editorial Boards of Journals
- 2002 – present – Member of the Editorial Board of the new Journal Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics (JABB) (Switzerland).
- 2003 – 2005 – Member of the Editorial Board and then Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics (PCCP) (Royal Society of Chemistry, UK).
- 2004 – 2006 – Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Applied Physics/Applied Physics Letters (American Physical Society, USA)
- 2006 – 2008 – Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology (JAST) (VSH, The Netherland)
- 2009 – 2011 – Member of the International Editorial Board of Advanced Biomaterials (Wiley VCH)
MEMBERSHIP of SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEES OF CONFERENCES:Permanent Memberships
- EURESCO Conference on ìBiological Surfaces and Interfacesî (since 2001).
- European Materials Research Society (E-MRS ) (since 2000).
- International Conference on Radiation Effects in Insulators (REI) (since 1997).
- International Conference on ìSwift Heavy Ions in Matterî (SHIM) (since 1995-2008).
- International Conference on Ionizing Radiation on Polymers (IRAP) (since 1994).
- The European Meeting of Vacuum Coaters (1994-2004).
- Italian Congress of Physical Chemistry (1993-2002)
Furthermore, G.M has been Chairman or Co-Chairman of more than 30 International Conferences, Workshops and Schools, including, among the others, the NATO-Advanced Research Workshop on ìIonization of Solids by Heavy Particlesî, Italy,1992; Symposium K on ìNanometric Phenomena Induced by Laser, Ion and Cluster Beamsî E-MRS SPRING Meeting, France,1996; the Symposia Series on Current Trends in Nanotechnologiesî at E-MRS SPRING Meeting (2000-2007), France; Int.Conf. on Swift Heavy Ions in Matter (SHIM 2002), Italy 2002; Workshop MELARI-NID on Nanoelectronics, Italy 2002; 2nd Italian Conference on ìNanoscience and Nanotechnology: Molecular aspectsî, Italy 2004; ESF Conference on ìBiological Surfaces and Interfacesî, 2007 Spain, etc..
MEMBER of the Scientific Board of Research Institutions:
International Bodies:- December 1991- 1997 – Member of European Committee for COST-Chemistry, D-5 Action: ìSurface and Interface Chemistryî
- 1992-1993 – Advisory Committee E-MRS network on Surface Engineeringy
- 1995- 2000 – Member of the Scientific Committee of the GANIL, Section of ìPhysique de la Matire Condense
- 1996 – Member of the Scientific Committee of the Ion Beam Facility of Strasbourg (CNRS), Laboratoire PHASE
- 1997-1998 – Laboratoire CEA – Saclay
- 1999-2000 – Laboratoire LSI – Palaiseau
Italian National Bodies:- 1990 – 1995 – Scientific Committee of the ìIstituto di Spettroscopia Molecolare (ISM), C.N.R., Bologna.
- 1990 – present – Scientific Committee of the ìIstituto di Chimica dei Materiali (ICMAT), C.N.R., (Roma).
- May 1993 – 2000 – Advisory Scientific Committee of the ìConsorzio Catania Ricerche – Catania.
- 1994 – 2001 – Scientific Committee of the Centro per la Chimica dei Plasmi (CCP), C.N.R., Bari.
- 1994 – National Committee for the Feasibility of the National Targeted Program of C.N.R. on Special Materials for Innovative Technologies IIî
- 1995 – 1999 – National Committee of CNR for Sincrotron Radiation.
- 1995 – 1998, Member of the Advisory Scientific Committee for the Scientific and Technological Park of Calabria (CalPark).
- 1997 – 2002 – Scientific Committee of the ìIstituto per la Chimica e Tecnologia dei Materiali Polimericiî (ITMP), C.N.R., Catania.
- 2002 – present – Scientific Committee of the ìIstituto per i Processi Chimico-Fisiciî (IPCF), C.N.R., Pisa .
- 2003 – present – Scientific Committee of the ìIstituto per i Compositi Polimerici e Biomaterialiî,
REFEREE FOR INSTITUTIONS- GANIL – 1996-2000
- Italian Ministry for Research/COFIN Program – 2000
- MELARI-NID (IST Program) – European Union (Bruxelles) – 2001
- European Science Foundation (ESF) – 2001
- Israel Foundation for Scientific Research – 2003
- NEST Program – European Union (Bruxelles) – 2003
- Engineering and Physical Research Scientific Council (EPRSC) – 2003-2005
- Italian Ministry for Research/CLUSTER Program – 2008
RESEARCH ORGANIZATION AND MANAGEMENT- 1988 – 1994 – Member of the National Committee for Chemical Sciences of the Italian National Council of Research (C.N.R.).
- 1992 – 2002 – December 1994, Member of the Board of Directors of the Division of Physical Chemistry of the Italian Society of Chemistry (S.C.I.).
- 1992 – 2002, Director of the Laboratory of Surfaces and Interfaces of the Consortium Catania Ricerche.
- 1996 – 2001 – Member of the Board of Directors of the Italian Targeted Project on ìSpecial Materials for Advanced Technologies IIî (Coordinator of the Sub-project on Materials and Processes for Electronic, Optical and Electrochemical Applications).
- 1999 – present – Member of the Executive Committee of the E-MRS.
- 1999 – 2000 – Elected Vice-President of the E-MRS (years 1999-2000)
- 2000 – 2003 – Elected President of the E-MRS ( years 2000-2001)
- 2001 – present – Director of the Laboratory for Molecular Surfaces and Nanotechnologies (LAMSUN) at Dept. of Chemical Sciences, University of Catania
- 2002–2005 – Director of the Italian Targeted Project on Special Materials for Advanced Technologies II (CNR)
- 2002 – 2007 – Member of the Expert Advisory Group of EU Commission for the 6th Framework Plan for the ìNanotechnology, Knowledge-based materials, Innovative Processes.
- 2003 – 2005 – Member of the Peer Review Panel of the Engineering Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), UK (three-year term).
- 2003 – Member of the Review Panel for the NEST Program (IST priority, 6th FP)
- 2004 – Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK)
- 2006 – present – President of the Inter-University Consortium for the ìScience of Large Interface Systemsî (9 Universities)
- 2008 – 2012 – President of the Company for Micro- and Nanosistemi Sicilia (participants: Universities of Catania, Messina and Palermo, ST-Microelectronics, Italian CNR, IBM, etc)